In the course of your studies at IU, it is necessary for IU to process data about you. This letter informs you about the processing of your personal data on the occasion of the commencement and implementation of your studies with IU. If you enter into a student employment relationship with IU, you will receive separate information about data processing in this respect. For details on data processing when using our website, please refer to the website privacy statement available on the Internet. Data processing through online tools will be explained to you in the corresponding tools.
Person responsible and data protection officer
IU Internationale Hochschule GmbH, Juri-Gagarin-Ring 152, 99084 Erfurt, ("IU"), is responsible for processing your personal data. We have appointed Dr. Annette Demmel, SPB DPO Services GmbH, Unter den Linden 21, 10117 Berlin, firstname.lastname@example.org, as our data protection officer.
Purpose of processing
Your personal data will be processed for the following purposes:
- Student administration, including enrollment, conducting studies, issuing ID cards and similar documents, setting and collecting tuition fees, checking attendance and absences where necessary, organizing teaching (online and virtual events), registering for and attending courses, providing and distributing teaching materials, receiving and distributing academic credits including plagiarism checks, conducting examinations and issuing examination certificates or transcripts, other general administrative and personnel processes necessary for the proper conduct of teaching;
- Student support, including interview services;
- Maintenance of records required by law, including bookkeeping;
- Internal and external auditing;
- Booking, implementation and accounting of any services;
- Fulfillment of statutory notification and reporting obligations;
- Provision of the operational IT infrastructure including hardware and software, telecommunications and electronic communication, including the Internet, mobile applications, remote maintenance access, online meetings, other technical facilities for teaching and learning and taking examinations by means of software, licensing and license control, allocation of user rights, debugging and troubleshooting, operation of a firewall and similar security facilities, URL and malware filtering and malware reporting, tracking of files copied to removable media, ticket system for inquiries and helpdesk, use of IT security software and monitoring of lawful use to the extent permitted;
- Internal audits for compliance with legal, regulatory and other corporate governance obligations and internal policies, in case of suspicion of criminal offenses or misdemeanors to detect them including investigation of compliance breaches.
Legal basis for processing
Your personal data will be processed on the basis of Article 6(1)(b) of the General Data Protection Regulation ("DS-GVO / GDPR") for the purpose of implementing the study contract with you. Where we are required to process your personal data to comply with a legal obligation, we will do so on the basis of Art. 6 (1) c) DSGVO, or in cases where we transfer your personal data to another group company or to other recipients for the legitimate interests pursued by us or a third party, we will do so on the basis of and in accordance with Art. 6 (1) f) DSGVO in order to use common operational infrastructure, e.g. IT systems, or online tools for teaching and examinations, including plagiarism control. In exceptional cases, where the processing of your personal data is not necessary to carry out the study relationship with you, but we would like to propose such processing to you, we will ask you separately for your consent pursuant to Art. 6 para. 1 a). You will then receive more detailed information in this context.
Your personal data will only be accessed by IU staff and teaching staff who are involved in the activities described in the 'Purpose of processing' section. In addition, our group companies may provide IT services to us. We will be happy to send you an overview of the group companies. Employees of these companies may have access to your personal data to the extent necessary to perform their tasks. Furthermore, we use the help of various external service providers to operate our IT infrastructure, including electronic communication, the operation of our websites, and administration.
In the context of offering courses via the internet, including plagiarism control, e.g. online tutorials, we use various functions of external providers (hereinafter referred to as "online tools") who receive your name, details of your courses and their content, including recordings of your voice and video recordings of you. In this process, your personal data is transferred to countries outside the European Union, in particular to the United States of America. We contractually secure the transfer by concluding the EU standard contracts for data processing in third countries. We will be happy to provide you with a copy if you contact us at email@example.com. Detailed information on data processing by the online tools can be found next to the start button of the respective online tool.
We process the following categories of data:
Master and contact data
- Date of birth
- Identity card number or passport number and issuing country or authority
- Home address
- Private contact details
- If you use our WhatsApp channel, details from your status messages and the date and time of delivered messages.
- If you use the live chat or chat bot, we also process information that you make available via the live chat or chat bot.
Details relating to the study relationship
- Details relating to the commencement, completion and termination of your studies
- Study programme
- Details from application procedures, e.g. curriculum vitae
- Entry and exit dates
- Professional training and career
- Qualifications and certificates or degrees
- Course attendance
- Academic achievements
- Performance assessment
- Examination performance
- Examination assessment
- Bank account details or other payment data
- Details of nursing care, health, employment and social insurances
- Details of other compulsory or optional insurances
Information in connection with the IT infrastructure
- Usage data of company IT infrastructure including electronic means of communication, e.g. internet, telephone and intranet
- Login information such as date or time, pages used, data transmitted and received, courses booked and attended
- Recordings of your voice and video recordings of you in the context of conducting courses or taking examinations via the internet.
How long will your personal data be stored?
Your personal data will be stored for the period of time required by law or as determined by us in order to perform our duties. Details on the storage period of individual data categories are available on request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can contact IU in writing or per email at email@example.com in order to exercise the following rights:
- Access your data in order to check and verify this data;
- Obtain a copy of your personal data;
- Rectification, erasure or restriction of processing, which also includes the right to complete incomplete or incorrect data by providing a supplementary statement;
- Right to object to the processing;
- You can receive your provided personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and transmit this data to another controller, provided that you have given your consent to the processing or the processing is based on a contract;
- If you have given us your consent to process your personal data, you can withdraw this consent at any time with effect for the future.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
To exercise this right, you can contact the authority responsible for your place of residence or for the location of the IU in Thuringia: Der Thüringer Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz, Häßlerstraße 8, 99096 Erfurt.
Why is your personal data collected?
We need your personal data to carry out the study relationship with you. You have the option to refrain from providing your personal data or to provide us with incomplete information. However, this may mean that we are unable to carry out the study relationship with you. Please note that, as an international company, we have to enable our students to participate in courses partly, sometimes exclusively, via the Internet using online tools. For this purpose, we use the services of various software providers, especially in the United States of America or in other countries outside the European Union. You will find more detailed information on the processing of personal data by online tools next to the start button of the online tool in each case.
Automated decision-making and profiling
Your personal data will not be used for automated decision-making.
Find out more in your free information material
You’ll find all of the important information about your study programme and IU International University of Applied Sciences in your personal brochure.